Wednesday, April 8, 2015


Woman Pinned Under Overturned Car on Tyner Road

(Dec. 19, 1943)

   Mrs. John Cummings, of Oxford R. D. 1, died at the Chenango Memorial Hospital about five o'clock Sunday morning from injuries received in an automobile accident when the car in which she was riding, driven by her son, Glenn Cummings, turned over in the highway pinning her underneath. She sustained fractures of the right hip, fractures of both bones in the left leg below the knee, punctured bladder and crushed pelvis.  Dr. Mayhew attended the victim.

   Occupying the automobile with Mrs. Cummings were her son, Glenn, 31, driver of the car, and the latter's wife, Theodora, 30.  The son suffered from shock, body bruises and a cut on the back of the head, while his wife sustained body bruises and abrasions of one cheek.

   The accident happened at 12:15 Sunday morning on the Tyner road while the party was en route to their home only a short distance away.  The car had reached a point in the road about 200 feet from the intersection with the highway near Mill Brook tea room, when apparently the right front wheel of the machine locked, causing the car to tip over.  Mrs. Cummings was thrown from the machine on the first roll and when the car tipped over half way she became pinned under the left running board.

   Undersheriff Frank J. Machio and Deputy John Halpin, who were engaged in an investigation of the accident on the Oxford road, were notified of the Tyner wreck and also conducted an investigation there.

   Floyd Wackford, Arthur Button, Raymond Gordon and H. W. Browning assisted in getting Mrs. Cummings from underneath the car.

   Mrs. Cummings was born in Greene, March 30, 1883, the daughter of James A. Niles and Emma Bixby Niles.

   She is survived by her husband, John E. Cummings, two daughters, Mrs. Bruce Burton and Mrs. Nina Woods; two sons, Glen and Floyd Cummings; one sister, Mrs. Anna May Stafford; all of Oxford; also two brothers, Elmer Niles of Oxford and Arthur Niles of Greene.

   The funeral was held from the Seymour Funeral Home on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock with Rev. Irving J. Beckwith officiating.  Burial in Riverview cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment