Monday, March 9, 2015




MARRIED THE GIRL TO NURSE HER

The Albany Evening Journal - Jan. 30, 1907

COVENTRY

   OXFORD, N. Y.,  Jan.20 – Diphtheria broke out in the home of Mrs. Charles White of Coventry, six miles from this place, last week.  A girl who worked in the family, Eliza D. Harris, contracted the disease and had nobody to care for her.

   Her affianced husband, Charles E. Healy of Albany, came to visit her Sunday and found her very sick and having no care.  He immediately took steps to nurse her himself, first arranging for their marriage.  They were united Sunday morning by Justice Kelly, the latter standing outside an open window while performing the ceremony.  Mr. Healy then immediately took up the duties of nurse.  Mrs. Healy is making good recovery.  Her husband is being much admired and commended for his devotion.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if there was any way to find out where my great grandparents lived in McDonough. Their names were Charles & Clara Eccleston. I believe they took care of John D. Rockefeller's hunting camp. Grandpa Eccleston died in 1949 and Grandma passed away in 1958. I remember my Grandpa Charles Austin (who was raised by them - they were his grandparents) taking us to the property they lived on when I was a child (mid-1970's) and he telling the story of him going to a one-room school house. I cannot remember what road it was that he took me down to show me where he grew up. Any way you might be able to help me find this out? I appreciate you taking the time to read this & possibly find an answer for me. Debbie Richardson (email is: disneydiva61@yahoo.com) I live outside of Rochester, NY.

    ReplyDelete